发表于 2008-3-1 00:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
: I$ H. t) U  Z# ?) ZTHE NEW DRIVER7 E! l7 P; T4 j$ \' l9 p
Common Tendencies – Possible Solutions. t/ U3 J% R. c0 @
Table of Contents$ P8 Z' |& g6 U6 |
Introduction 2' R" C: ]! Q& b7 `7 m# F7 t% Q
Visual Skills 2
/ o( ?+ n" I& z% PCommentary Driving 3
1 S, N) K9 E7 P$ B; p. |Demonstrations, Pictures, and Observing 3; j; w7 }# |8 Q7 g6 J  V1 M4 `
Turns
$ q% _4 T9 m' f* e) ]6 XRight Turns 4
' e2 }' j# j7 j1 {5 [* RLeft Turns 6
3 R- k0 `4 k/ K, P; g2 D# d% R; YTracking 78 D' O7 M6 X. L
Parking3 \! d2 t% W2 U4 K
Parallel 8/ ^1 f& Y: q# ~% E
Downhill 9; [; k8 p  C+ I
Uphill 100 a$ I$ V' ?, ~. Q) K8 W  J
Braking Too Late, Too Hard, or Too Softly 11) _7 O1 L$ K' Q& G9 d% n. g
Following Too Closely 12
8 V8 Q% @/ E9 J8 N0 E0 U  DLane Changing 13
! _* a$ q2 E! z) o1 mMerging 151 k* R4 E. a+ S
Traffic Circles 178 X: ~. c- n' ]' ^5 t/ j
Intersections (Anticipating Light Changes) 19- F" {$ ~$ n- q2 s3 U1 u* O
Manual Transmissions 21
( o2 L; L+ }  Z  M# t2+ t9 y0 Q9 k* f0 S
Introduction$ V. g, i, h+ y. m: M; E4 N* ?$ T% c
This information is provided as supplemental material for Geared To Go: A Workbook
: e" `9 K) z8 Z* e) ~7 U% [0 Ifor Coaching New Drivers.5 v, g, g& W6 B7 K2 N$ m- g% O
As a coach (parent) of a new driver you will face many challenges. Learners experience1 q; d; m1 }* V) v- @3 h: ?
problems in similar areas. This web site explores these tendencies* and common
/ T3 V: ^& N+ }. |8 F/ [problems, and explains how to coach the learner to correct problems or to avoid problems- d9 P% F* s, [/ g2 z
from developing and re-occurring.! @' X1 L( m/ v& {& X5 A  A
*Tendency – a proneness to a particular kind of thought or action6 H$ h6 N. @5 u) ~% r$ o/ h
Visual Skills
/ z0 l. r$ O# P1 IVisual skills are the root of almost every success or failure in driver education and
! f( P" D! V  U* U" Jtraining. Visual skills are the driver’s awareness of where to look and when. Good- }8 t3 @0 a8 o- B
visual skill habits should be developed in the early stages of learning and need to be3 c: o9 R; j; [* `* @
reinforced continually until they become habit. Proper visual skills while the vehicle is in' H/ L: o4 Z( n/ I& a, Z; j8 @
motion (vision and movement) are the basis for developing most other aspects of* _( t. o9 w# k9 h0 H3 L
information gathering and vehicle handling.
$ V% w* A! |3 Z  _9 g' k2 y0 GIdentifying focal points will help the new driver. Focal points are objects ahead or" G% q( S- T9 u
behind the vehicle that are used to ensure the driver is looking far enough away from the/ v: O/ G% b9 `( w
vehicle in the direction of travel to allow for planning for potential hazards. Traffic lights
9 [4 {4 u1 d; ~4 j9 E( d/ m4 p3 Ktwo to three blocks ahead are an example of a focal point.
. U6 @1 p) B5 u2 h- n3 U' HScanning is your field of vision all around the vehicle. By scanning ahead, behind, and
# P: k# I6 p7 Laround the vehicle valuable information is gathered to help the driver assess changing
) ~0 r. D% [: A% M" n7 w, qsituations and allow proactive planning to avoid or reduce potential risks. Learning where$ v9 J8 I" C' `2 R  w2 [6 Y; h
to scan is a very important skill for the new driver to develop. Knowing where to look is
% S! \0 X9 I* m, J+ I* _the key.  u2 k: n9 D1 b% t2 Z' A
When the activity ahead is turning or travelling on a straight road, suggest focal points,' E( ~+ R! N( L0 W1 C0 Z
such as the next set of lights, or a vehicle at the end of the street, to develop proper visual" Z; T- J$ K( w  o/ B! I9 {& u0 B& q
skills.7 x4 s3 v7 S7 ~) y
Watch for the learner's chin being raised. This is not helpful for correct vision.2 W5 M, `1 L7 o
Remember, if the chin is up, the eyes are down. This is easier to detect when the learner" J; k' g' J0 i. c: b' i- q& c
is practicing parking.# ?5 E' x  d" ~
Good visual skills require checking the rear view mirror regularly. Checking every five to
- Y- a  e- T- o! aeight seconds, or about every block, is a good habit to develop to allow planning when
2 e/ A; G  P# `% _7 Q! Zstopping or slowing./ Y# C  ^8 ~4 D9 L4 {1 A# V
Many drivers, whether new or experienced, will check the rear view mirror when- b2 H$ ]9 k  a0 M5 _
braking. This is a good idea, but it is not planning ahead. A driver who is scanning 15 to( `% w  S) _8 o" `. }$ r) }- E6 i0 [
20 seconds ahead will receive information about what is happening in advance of being& C. ]1 ^/ S$ o* N
there. If the traffic light one and a half to two blocks ahead is stale (the Don't Walk light
% Y1 M5 N. Z$ `# C0 N* a0 ?# L3
% }6 u' `+ `3 ]9 {( z$ \* Uis on), it is safe to assume it will be red by the time the vehicle is at the intersection.
9 Q# h8 b8 e9 j6 yTeach the learner to anticipate stopping or slowing for the situation ahead. This is an2 _* L9 e  j5 e6 i  m+ P
ideal time to check the rear view mirror, and plan for what is happening behind. This is a4 v& ~0 M- I  C- |/ Y3 z
better time than when braking hard at the light, wondering if a stop is possible, and
+ M1 M- `+ N5 d/ }& d7 ^hoping the vehicle behind, that likely began braking later than you, can stop.7 o6 f5 p" H' M4 c, c6 h
Commentary Driving
9 |" V/ W* S6 P# c( Z  {* b- hCommentary driving is a very effective tool for both the learner and the coach.0 M2 q6 k0 |/ @0 N
Encourage the learner to say out loud what is being seen and planned. This takes away a
9 f6 D9 G4 V, @, p! I8 ?lot of the guessing and assuming by the coach. For some new drivers, talking and driving: i7 D- R2 B  ]3 _, M) ^; K
will seem difficult in the beginning. However, it will become easier with practice.
' x( U- S$ s$ j# m2 _# WDo not expect the learner to speak continually. Provide an example of topics to talk
0 `+ S5 J/ _3 mabout. Identify the possible hazards, traffic signs, traffic lights, and so on. The goal is to! ^7 E. ?8 i7 n+ z. ~$ m: _
ensure that the learner is scanning far enough ahead (one to two blocks) and checking
* K7 J; P9 U+ j( [0 Lbehind the vehicle.
" v# z" F8 E9 G, ~When the learner has improved at identifying important aspects of driving, expand the5 o' e* s9 U7 ?4 ?
commentary driving to include the action that will be taken to deal with the recognized6 U$ |0 w4 p( P' {! d
hazard.! N1 N+ \9 d2 e& O
It may be necessary to limit the commentary driving to 15 to 30 seconds in the beginning.1 c  M$ [' F# a+ q/ |, f3 Q
The time can be extended to longer periods as the learner improves. Another method is to
% g" J9 |: q% J6 }; Q0 k. V# Vhave the learner identify traffic signs or traffic lights for a specified number of lights or
# ?1 E& I* ?. i: i5 M  f% Yblocks. It is important for some new drivers to know that the commentary will end at a4 P, F7 `. d0 f* Q- ~
specific point or time.3 B2 f# P* F/ Q
Demonstrations, Pictures, and Observing
0 Q! N% Q- X% D1 m. l% u5 @Before doing a high-risk activity, such as merging and traffic circles, demonstrate the2 w- ^" b: Z  C2 i
activity, draw pictures to explain it, and have the learner observe the situation when" |- S8 `: ~3 z# [
possible.! `" e$ {0 D7 d0 I7 |6 [3 O
Find a location on a quiet street to preview the activity with demonstrations and# W& T1 x6 e! w  ?, g& T' T+ a
diagrams, where the learner can focus without other distractions. This gives the learner2 Q) x  F  A3 g
the opportunity to ‘visualize’ the activity prior to attempting it. Provide thorough
* N) `6 P+ z# j  d$ ~3 H0 ]5 Rexplanations in a logical sequence. To ensure all the information has been understood3 O0 V7 G/ m" |7 P- F3 C
have the learner repeat (paraphrase) what has been learned. Their feedback should be
, |2 J8 H; X7 J3 ?0 Wspecific. Encourage the learner to ask questions at this point.7 c) Z5 o9 P+ M$ M6 \% M! L% w
Observation is another very effective method for learning and teaching. Park the vehicle8 o1 b' z! c5 w8 Y: S" o: Z$ N
in a safe place where the activity can be watched for a few minutes. Encourage the1 x0 O0 c; _; }0 A
learner to ask questions about what the learner has observed.$ U- Q, N4 p9 c% p
45 i- a# U# K4 h. k  `2 G- |
Turns. `! x4 p4 ^3 |% Q1 G# M2 J  N
A. Right Turns# C" b% k# q6 e7 X3 ~$ ^
New Driver Tendency:' w- {4 E) ?; ^+ ?. @
• Right turns tend to be performed too widely or too tightly, due to the following.
2 O/ @4 N0 Z( Z2 ~1 V" u9 e1. Approaching the turn too quickly+ j  A  ?& O  a4 g) e
Solution:
4 I" U" J! G/ M# \% I( N+ [/ e• Enter the turning lane, usually the furthest right lane next to the curb, well in advance
6 q$ |9 G- m% G7 h0 i: b) |, W. Yof the intersection (half a block or more – two to three light standards).
# H: y( U) O( d• Begin slowing down at this point. Don’t just cover the brake - apply a little pressure.8 b( A" ~( R* m. \0 Z; q! r" P
• The speed on approach should be about 8 to 10 km/h, or slow enough that it is easy to
( r" B% p. V1 F  `# f, z9 Dstop.
0 `+ A, Q; n+ Z: {8 I2. Approaching the turn with the vehicle incorrectly positioned in the lane7 D0 H' X) d0 m' }
New drivers will tend to stare at the curb at the intersection. This causes movement/ g! `9 [: g0 {
toward the curb or away from it. This is not what a driver should do.
5 d/ v" m; f5 _: O/ wSolution:, @1 }7 Q$ L0 j! N
• Position the vehicle about one metre from the curb as soon as possible when  E! h6 ^  l% x3 h8 j
approaching the intersection. Stay parallel with the curb by looking well ahead a
7 I$ G1 a/ |3 v" k- ^# Xblock or so along the intended path.0 u2 w4 x( i6 ?$ ]0 z
3. Taking too long to check the traffic situation in the intersection
# z" }, L# L. i7 t+ PNew drivers will tend to stare to the left when approaching the intersection while# @6 U" e- ]' l+ ?% k
checking for traffic. In the meantime the vehicle is rolling straight ahead into the; ]' G* f( }7 D5 }: H' u
intersection, and away from the curb.
, x% L3 s+ m( d" k' d4 v# P: c( @Solution:
* a3 A. q9 w" R5 ]7 T• Quickly glance left while checking for traffic.8 _* B, q- a  ^, f4 A
• Check to the right, while adjusting the wheels to stay with the curve of the curb.
* e: [+ `1 i  A! t: ^• Check for pedestrians and cyclists on the curb.
, k& O, ~# o5 f" S8 E. i; p• Glance again, to the left, to check for traffic.  S/ N: n7 Z/ C; \; A! @
• If it is not clear, stop.
7 W% Z# y) b% ]# [9 e+ ~, E• If clear, look well along the intended path, keeping the eyes up, and gently accelerate.$ p2 t: ]/ m8 T0 q$ i8 t
Note: Proper visual skills are very important here. New drivers tend to watch the curb+ P7 T4 L! \) W2 C. O- h+ |# p
(because of concerns about running into it), or the line immediately to the left of their
% D: d2 p- }, m# Hvehicle as they turn, to avoid the curb. Find a focal point, such as a vehicle parked at the+ ^- H+ V% k' a4 E
end of the street, the next set of traffic lights, or a house along the intended path.8 [% B- q. o3 R
Encourage the learner to focus on this point while completing the turn and gently
1 m* R/ o9 ^  N5! g: u' T+ t! F! C* O0 m) |6 R2 }
accelerating. Proper visual skills and movement are critical to vehicle handling and! @8 I! p: i0 |% c" d- l
information gathering.
6 u: ~4 u% P4 }) SThis turn should be performed at about 10 km/h, not 20 to 25 km/h, as many drivers want
, G0 d1 c" }. w4 }  {  vto do. Trying to do all the things just mentioned above at 20 to 25 km/h is very difficult
" _2 u1 a2 C2 J7 _  Dand dangerous, and even more dangerous when road conditions are poor.
9 U# h# X: x- _0 C$ Y( ~3 k, t6! B% ^3 M2 X" ]5 G
B. Left Turns
2 a- [* L. l# q( N& `+ jNew Driver Tendency:" ~" a7 T* c. }5 I1 s% D( v
• Left turns tend to be performed too widely or too tightly.; N: b; B4 [4 M+ r) p1 ^! r
Left turns are extremely dangerous, and should be done with caution.5 N+ m4 y- k. q! f) C5 e# g& p
1. Approaching the turn too quickly
) f: V4 p/ _8 y8 i8 j% y4 ?; _Solution:
* i% ]  J2 ?) @3 N; C$ W% B• Slow down well back of the intersection, half a block or so.
/ F- s( C1 A+ p• Use the lane most to the left, nearest the yellow line, or one of the lanes that are7 z6 e: H. R( e* H! C
designated for left turning.
# k& {" S) I3 s; n/ w• Some left turn lane approaches are fairly long and should be used for slowing down% K1 P. e, D$ @6 p2 [0 m6 x
as well as turning.1 f' K/ `& V: \5 b
• If the vehicle in front is in the intersection, stay clear of the intersection, behind the
5 _6 c4 Q' Y4 v% Ccrosswalk, until that vehicle has cleared it completely.9 m4 N) T- t. Q6 B  \2 R/ x
2. Not knowing the intended path before beginning the turn
/ J2 ^2 T8 f: V2 i9 DSolution:
( @, v5 k2 D' w; E% L+ o• While approaching the intersection scan left, centre, and right for vehicles and other
8 T; l, W  b: ]$ A! Bpossible hazards. Scan for the lane the left turn will be made into.9 _* p( W/ P, u( u  a
• Once at the intersection, enter into the intersection far enough that the turn must be  t6 _& ^  L- ]
made. Some new drivers will want to stay close to or straddling the crosswalk. This7 L3 L* C- S3 c+ q
can be dangerous, because when the light changes to amber the tendency is to stay in, {9 b0 r8 E/ h& }1 ~. U" _
that spot. New drivers may think that their vehicles are out of the way of cross traffic.! k* d% h0 a+ T
In fact, it is blocking the crosswalk and likely restricting the first lane of traffic that4 x( y5 F+ w" A3 M' @% I
will be crossing in front of the vehicle. Pedestrians will have to walk around the back
) T6 G1 R6 a" d4 G0 V& \/ Q4 T5 u9 [( gof the vehicle, or even worse, around the front of the vehicle into the first lane of
( D6 }# m+ u! A, H4 C) Utraffic to cross the intersection.
# G. g; U  g: h+ c9 [  F% h( p• Enter the intersection so that the vehicle is about one lane's width from the lane that
4 O. x, _* [6 @3 M# \) l  z2 Kwill be used to make the left turn into. Stay there until the intersection is clear or the, l' s, U$ O, w9 P0 u  \
light has turned amber and it is safe to proceed. The tendency for new drivers is to
* W, M+ U6 [6 c  L; i8 l* yspot an opening in oncoming traffic where a turn can be made, and then begin rolling! w5 @0 T, |5 c3 {3 p' p: U6 U
toward the opening. This changes the vehicle's position in the intersection. Do not
, c5 e: W9 M6 i/ h7 zroll forward until ready to turn.3 O& h: H: U/ V! _2 W: U% P( ~
• Keep the wheels straight until it is time to do the turn. This is to prevent being pushed1 |" @/ u) p- z
from behind into oncoming traffic.
+ m1 h5 M/ r- v• When beginning to turn, check left for pedestrians in the crosswalk. If clear, look well3 y) ~1 K! x' ?- Q# X3 [
along the intended path toward the next set of traffic lights. The tendency is to focus8 w6 Q. k5 Y* w) B2 @
on the vehicle to the left of the intended path, the yellow centre line, or the lane! _% t* ^/ {& |# C3 h0 e
markings. Looking at these objects will cause the learner to go toward them. You go2 P- j, V" C( ]
where you look. Remember, proper visual skills and movement is critical to all
, I- h) F. [% `. W. j6 l! Nactivities.
5 L4 C9 L$ _* C, h2 U: m- {• Accelerate gently while focusing well ahead along the intended path.
1 s8 z$ Z2 L% w7 X) V7/ G" P) C; j8 e0 _8 w' Q2 S8 z# d
Tracking (Position in the Lane)
: {, t( D6 y5 i3 BNew Driver Tendencies:
' [5 K' M5 E" @2 k# c! P* A; y. L• Difficulty staying centered on a straight road.
6 F6 C7 M1 F" x( x# {6 y3 J0 e• Difficulty staying centered on a curve.
* G) {" v  r* Z2 G" dWhile traveling on a straight road or a curve, the learner may position the vehicle too
' j- J+ S4 |8 p, o. y3 n1 pclosely to the dotted or solid line that divides the lanes, or may cause the vehicle to
8 K0 W$ t5 G5 d6 X' h9 b& Cwander back and forth in the lane.7 l6 w3 T4 @' S! o5 r( E* O
1. Difficulty staying centered on a straight road- ~) I5 E. d- O1 G0 D8 K
If the learner is having trouble driving down the centre of a straight road, the problem is; {- `( R" T8 m. T8 t) t
likely due to where the eyes are focused. Watching the line to the left of the vehicle will
  [2 A) G$ t; q; z3 d# l2 Ncause the vehicle to ride next to the line, or far to the right side of the lane as an attempt
$ A. [4 Y* {# G! ]# A0 Xto correct the problem.* q$ @7 k/ b9 a2 a$ [
As well, the learner may be very aware of being next to the curb, and end up driving too& o" J5 y6 ]& F
close to it. The tendency is to stare at the curb, and then drift close to, against it, or to pull  ]; f4 J* P3 o, S4 E- u5 R$ G
away and avoid it by driving on the left side of the lane.
  ~+ `+ ?( H7 }$ g% A9 r: gSolution:
; g- H/ Z0 Z6 y; {8 x- \9 u/ S• Provide a focal point 15 to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle. For example, have the( j* Y( Q, x+ U8 E
learner identify the color of a set of lights two to three blocks ahead. Staying focused
! y5 f. B7 j+ \0 x- ron the focal point for a few seconds will likely result in the vehicle gradually moving/ c6 [) I7 T, \7 B
to the centre of the lane.
& H9 q: l- i( I+ u# rNote: Never stare for long periods of time on one object. Scanning from side to side 151 H9 f  f; K) R! I6 j0 c
to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle is recommended.* P. t2 _' G3 W7 l
2. Difficulty staying centered on a curve
7 d6 c; o/ i6 b  L6 T! @The tendency, for new drivers, on a curve is to look at the road markings beside the, W( A& k0 H9 k  Z
vehicle. Doing this will make the curve seem sharper than it is and cause the learner to
$ s( y3 F, w& N( Wslow the vehicle down. This will make the learner look even closer at the markings, and
- Z3 M6 ]7 \2 a) f8 L9 Ythe problem is made worse.
- D+ _4 I4 b) j9 ?$ ?) n5 cSolution:
4 q5 E0 O7 H8 n7 p• Keep the speed where it is safe and within the legal or recommended speed limit.
: w2 O- W* S, t' ^  ~Look 7 to 10 seconds around the curve along the intended path. Proper visual skills
( G( }+ v  |7 u7 r8 Zand movement are critical to all safe and effective driving./ s2 Y" i+ C& w
/ u% x. k/ b8 m. h+ z" |Parking. P* U% B. ~) O; f6 e/ i
A. Parallel Park
2 m9 ^4 P5 l2 d: MNew Driver Tendencies:
5 o  M, w/ @" f- r3 _• The vehicle is too far from the curb when the park is finished." T, y/ T" T3 \" G) ]3 V3 `
• The vehicle is backed into the curb.
1 a/ ?9 f0 ~; c7 n8 [1. The vehicle is too far from the curb when the park is finished
2 E( n, Q1 {7 ?& w0 g) K) v8 WAs in every other aspect of driving, visual skills and movement are very important to
' T4 \0 |" t  R: |% k# d" _, t5 yparallel parking.
# k7 s, u/ T; y$ j, w/ Q2 \) TFinishing too far from the curb is a result of not allowing the vehicle to travel in reverse( y+ z* q3 d+ {
far enough while at the 45 degree angle step of the parking process.
( N) R  z$ M" [  `$ }3 k1 lSolution:$ y  n( v$ }/ y0 a% ?: e' R
• After backing to the right until the vehicle is at about a 45 degree angle to the curb,: o" v* c7 ^- g8 Y3 U6 T4 o3 _
continue backing with the wheels straight until the right front corner of the vehicle is, H) Q" Z* e2 U% _) ^  u
in line with the left rear corner of the vehicle that is being parked behind.1 y4 s# }, t: P
• While moving at a crawl or walking speed turn the steering wheel as far left as" \5 a# h0 Q7 _- r
possible, and continue to move at a crawl or walking speed.
; R: [# b5 v% w; z) X6 A2 ~Note: The learner should be looking in the direction the vehicle is moving, with quick
0 c: U5 h- n' D8 a6 g$ u3 P9 J- _glances to the front and all around the vehicle.
% F! K/ r& s4 H2 M! [/ G5 b2. The vehicle is backed into the curb' z  S7 r; y" o, A4 ~1 X2 _6 b
This usually is the result of poor judgment of distance, or allowing the vehicle to reach an
  I5 C) x: ]& }1 p2 ~angle greater than 45 degrees before the straight backing step of the parking process./ G3 u$ m) K8 K' t* i/ N
Solution:1 Z- J! s' |2 D3 e) z
• It is better for the angle step of the park to be done at 45 degrees or slightly less.
8 K/ c- ?, |& K3 L& s( h" ~& eGreater than 45 degrees makes it much more difficult to finish the park within 500 f; b1 P- I! V& {
centimetres of the curb without hitting the curb with the right rear tire.
5 e) ]5 J# D1 H5 y1 _$ x7 Z• Walk or crawl speed is all that is required.
: @6 l; Y$ r: m0 n6 R4 Z1 [/ r% x9* I. l) e% `, B5 R, m% _
B. Downhill Park) J( W# |0 D* m% b9 n
New Driver Tendencies:
% T: R. q8 Q$ c9 D• The tire rubs the curb as the learner tries to get the vehicle close to the curb.
) T, k1 k! P+ b" k5 \7 A• The vehicle is parked with the back end too far from the curb.
1 j) |* V$ {" I# _/ D9 ?• The curb is hit hard as the vehicle moves forward to settle against the curb.
2 g# l- z8 z' x( b; N! C3 P7 `+ E, D' IThe key to a good downhill park is in the approach. Ensuring the vehicle is close and& y' r( d* d. f
parallel with the curb on the approach will ensure the vehicle is close and parallel when
9 J  w# q5 V) F3 p! u; cthe park is completed.% w8 I: n4 u& H
Solution:' L6 B  D; i! i  Q- y
• Watch where the learner focuses when approaching the curb. The tendency is to raise9 i; J8 C$ g2 W
the chin and stare at the curb. This will almost guarantee running into it. To avoid
2 V  [$ u; \9 L9 _# ?, Xrunning into the curb vision should be directed well down the curb lane with short; _- f6 ?' l. V! J7 w8 A
glances to the curb, and small steering wheel adjustments to move the vehicle closer
" c3 N. m" ~- |# ^to the curb.
' N7 \5 J5 \7 [2 Y% m  V• Once the vehicle is close and parallel to the curb, the hands should be at the 9 and 3, R# |! _2 k- Z5 b
position on the steering wheel. Turn the wheel half way around (180 degrees) to the4 s8 x1 p: _% g; z/ [4 A
left (touch the forearms together) and roll about half a meter. Now turn hand-overhand
& i. q7 ~$ E; E5 y( t- _all the way to the right as the vehicle rolls slowly to the curb.
9 D' s* l0 V) z$ q1 g! W3 r4 rCaution: There is a strong tendency for new drivers to press on the accelerator when1 w; x2 J  F2 ^% d+ i/ p
steering hard to the right to complete the downhill park. The first couple of downhill
) U% v3 g* m$ X  L% H" a) Dparks should be done on a slight slope, and with the vehicle in neutral to prevent the1 P$ F6 W- B6 V+ ~' {. H9 c7 n
vehicle from running up onto the curb.: u; a# w# ~& X5 M# ~6 f) ^9 o
1 P( o0 c( U, I2 K; F- C: wC. Uphill Park
' G, T  @7 d8 `New Driver Tendencies:
/ o& a3 D' c  a# k$ K• The vehicle is parked with the back end too far from the curb.
; K0 G4 ~5 N2 |! y• The curb is rubbed as the learner attempts to get the vehicle close to the curb.
; A, i$ L; \3 j( Y$ w5 IThe key to a good uphill park is in the approach. Ensuring the vehicle is close and9 g6 `1 D8 i- Y- g; @/ y5 X9 D  M! \
parallel with the curb on the approach will ensure the vehicle is close and parallel when2 }+ q: X* B: b  g
the park is completed.
' A  W! C& j9 e1 o9 e2 pSolution:0 q! w! A( q; O8 |7 L' l
• Watch where the learner focuses when approaching the curb. The tendency is to raise
2 z  s% Q7 Q9 f: \0 n7 Ythe chin and stare at the curb. This will almost guarantee running into it. Vision6 B* a3 M% W" T, S; e
should be directed well down the curb lane with short glances to the curb, and small) F9 |. I" v- p5 b% D* @' s4 g
steering wheel adjustments to move the vehicle closer to the curb.; n6 |" r: u( }! Q' @" A) A
• Move the vehicle forward very slowly, about one meter, while turning the steering
; @8 q' l, e5 W8 D( i$ W7 t; Twheel all the way to the left (just enough to get the wheels all the way to the left).( O2 w& j# G9 m# v& X/ [7 b
• Select reverse and, while covering the brake, back very slowly until the right front tire
8 f1 h  O; o5 C$ h, H; rgently contacts the curb.
6 x8 M* y- J0 o' RNote: Properly completed uphill and downhill parks will look exactly the same when the1 \  \" u6 r( w( F* q' a( {( k
passenger door is opened next to the curb. The vehicle should be straight and parallel to
+ \4 X, b! ]/ m" b! Othe curb for uphill and downhill parks.
: G: T: E0 W- j11
; e" _: A0 J' M4 n, U" PBraking Too Late, Too Hard, or Too Softly
8 p1 I  t- S$ M: x+ zNew Driver Tendencies:9 T; P! |, S, _& n+ _" V" P
• The brake is covered an appropriate distance from the stopping point, but no pressure% {" z8 Y8 c% I8 z
is applied to the brake, so the speed is not reduced.5 `. Q/ y. C( H% |
• Poor judgment of distance, speed, and time results in braking too late or too hard.
* S# O+ o5 A7 R- s& R: x! k• The new driver looks directly over the hood of the vehicle.
( ^+ U5 j/ N4 a+ e9 b1 [: |Drivers who look directly over the hood of the vehicle tend to brake hard and late+ E2 |/ Q4 P8 n. ~8 i
because their vision is not far enough ahead to assess time and space properly. As the
; g: @3 m) a& x1 Uvehicle slows down, vision is dropped near to the front of the vehicle. This is the& E% ]( j3 Z$ J  A! T
beginning of poor judgment of speed, time and distance. Vision should remain at eye
( w! q& i3 D5 S7 D7 \9 q$ }level along the intended path.- }% R  F) A6 o
Solution:0 a/ Y) T0 _! ?- Z9 Q- V. J1 p: D
• As in other activities, visual skills are critical here. Vision must be kept at eye level. n) i, `6 l. l$ J8 G+ j
and well ahead of the vehicle. Watch the learner's head and chin. If the learner's chin( H! ^: [) ~3 k, G% ~/ k& p3 N; o
goes up, the eyes will go down. Keeping the chin level will ensure the vision stays at
$ U) K0 k5 }) ?  L* ^. ~eye level and well along the intended path.4 F4 L3 X& s  ^8 R
• When anticipating having to slow down or stop, check the rear view mirror. When
* C% |$ Q0 O! qcovering the brake, apply some pressure to the brake and reduce to about half of the
+ Q) k; h! R; ^: |" lposted speed. This will help in a couple of areas. If the time and space needed to stop5 j  S  s3 N4 n; h
or avoid an object has been misjudged, it is safer to brake more in the beginning
9 B' h1 y4 }; n- ~, ^* q. X" Orather than near the required stopping point. As well, if the vehicle behind is
* ?. C* |  J3 X, r+ x7 qfollowing too closely, braking sooner will give other vehicles warning and force them
7 D/ U# Y( e+ P9 p  n1 kto slow down well in advance of the required stopping point. This reduces the chance
& Y  M* X& z: i$ R8 r. Pof being rear-ended.' q, r5 Z, e; h# _* _/ N
127 c  f# d3 c; |7 J
Following Too Closely
9 }9 A  d6 |7 \9 P3 cNew Driver Tendency:9 {; h2 |/ X% s. K
• Following the vehicle in front too closely.3 w, h  @& I4 T
The Driver’s Handbook recommends at least a two-second following distance. This is
  \5 H) ?$ ^+ m7 e3 {good advice, but if a driver is not scanning 15 to 20 seconds ahead of the vehicle, two6 f, Z; w5 Q9 E1 I- X) M
seconds may not be enough, even in good weather conditions.
5 R7 k0 `# o$ A0 e/ R( k0 gSolution:
0 T+ T4 O: }4 W• Have a three to four second following distance to allow time to slow down for the% C" S- `$ m8 p$ x/ M6 }9 b. K
traffic in front and additional time to deal with vehicles behind that may be following) b5 @' x5 f$ b0 C% j2 _
too closely. Scan 15 to 20 seconds or one and a half to two blocks ahead.  q  j7 e% c3 U; F: z
6 h  D5 i; z. |1 i& E7 ?: ~- LLane Changing
; w/ O8 s" `0 r7 P7 E% g+ n, @New Driver Tendencies:
7 y; t( e$ i$ l' O& V8 v• Slowing down while shoulder checking.
& u1 @) y) b  N' `5 }  T! f1 d• Moving the steering wheel too abruptly or over-steering.6 X+ |/ N, u* A" @1 h' @4 N
• Looking too long while shoulder checking., u- O" h3 U+ H+ M7 g. c
• Moving the steering wheel while shoulder checking.
( u6 S8 d- W4 c) vProper lane changing requires the following six steps.
% J: k5 [2 K+ D! z4 O" E2 h1. Check the rear view mirror.9 F/ f  Y0 j, v+ o. t' n
2. Check the outside mirror.+ H& G& X, O! C# [* @. o
3. Shoulder check.
, H* {& Y4 u6 @4. Signal, if clear.
9 b/ w2 h9 y: ~+ y% t5. Shoulder check again.- J+ {/ i/ e2 t  b
6. Move into the next lane, if safe.
8 C9 M( M+ M5 j8 [1. Slowing down while shoulder checking
( L5 Z& o7 P& a2 qSlowing down is usually the result of the learner doing the first shoulder check, then
. f) C& M$ L, U+ B! z5 f; ?taking the foot off the accelerator, then checking again and not making the lane change,% E3 I4 k" l: l% A
or cutting in too abruptly because the gap has closed. Changing lanes is generally nothing
- O$ B) M$ v; I2 e' k/ u, gmore than changing the vehicle's position on the road. It rarely ever requires slowing
9 U& u4 e+ L. D/ V$ Kdown if done where it is safe.
- I0 c+ K) k- Z3 ISolution:
* d. I) S7 @, Q$ f• Find a stretch of road that has no obstacles, such as curves and traffic lights, for a few- A0 B1 a% g  n5 J4 q" A7 Z2 @7 G
blocks.
/ I7 m* [" R# j' K6 F• Ensure the new driver is at or near the speed limit. Remind the learner not to
! C3 j- L6 I  c& lreduce the speed while glancing to the blind spot. This will take a bit of practice, but
! H" A$ S8 Q" T6 B! mthe skill will steadily improve.
7 T2 D! m- C! b: F5 U- y2. Moving the steering wheel too abruptly or over-steering
* }6 y0 j* h  \; R" E! BSolution:3 N; {" ?/ K) Q9 [
• Hand position must be at 9 and 3 throughout the entire lane change. New drivers have( I/ L# @: S2 |/ i5 c6 o
a tendency to over-steer (usually because of poor visual skills). A lane change. b  J7 \- y) `' D& C1 S
requires nothing more than adjusting the steering wheel so the hand position shifts
3 o$ R- h0 j7 S( {: [from the 9 and 3 position to the 8 and 2 position for a left lane change. Lane changes. F, _! E+ }8 H6 f
to the right would be from the 9 and 3 position to the 10 and 4 position. The hands do7 i& D. R9 V1 I4 t7 a6 E5 J
not move on the steering wheel, only the steering wheel moves.0 l3 }! r/ y: j0 f% @. d) `; L) b0 r0 S
  w3 F* b- H0 D0 p; f* w. I" b3. Looking too long while shoulder checking6 \1 e+ U& O3 d$ D5 l/ Z! o" N! i- m
Solution:" [. @; R+ Y( f2 F
• Taking the eyes away from looking forward for too long while the vehicle is in traffic
' v1 [  \+ }! X- Jis extremely dangerous. It is safer and more effective to perform two shoulder checks& ?# o1 I3 k4 u7 M3 _6 V
with short glances to the blind spot than it is to stare for several seconds.& a! n7 v/ A$ f' r7 t
• Quick glances, while maintaining speed, will produce positive results.
* C. n$ z2 g8 Z% x  P4. Moving the steering wheel while shoulder checking
( ]! @& o, V6 r& x# C/ S* R8 T$ dSolution:" ?! m8 g8 ?* P" d: c
• Moving the steering wheel is usually a result of looking too far back when shoulder
3 }! ~, j+ i% A  G# q" Pchecking. New drivers need to be made aware when they are moving the steering; R2 N- r% p- b- \$ U7 \  b
wheel while shoulder checking. Ensure the learner is aware of where the blind spot
; }/ h2 c0 @1 G# Lzones are on each side of the vehicle.
3 h7 x9 G$ e6 c; b. m; R$ FNote: Learners will tend to look through the rear window when shoulder checking to the
" o+ V6 J) _: F6 Z& \right. The rear view mirror is used for this. Explain the blind spot zones again to reinforce. |2 F0 v6 S! }* [1 }, s  H
where to look when doing shoulder checks.
2 G' b8 |" \; w5 Y( V6 N) ?5 y154 R& ]2 q& t( I7 r+ |7 Q
Merging1 B5 M# V% N: A4 ^' k
New Driver Tendencies:( a) O# ]3 q1 n% v4 W% D& m
• Treating the merge like a yield.
2 B9 {+ h- p  I3 E) f  N• Waiting too long to find an appropriate space to fit into.
" `* G  z: m. i& V9 P• Travelling too closely to the vehicle in front.
' Z* W# b3 R) h# u& \/ j0 N• Approaching the merge point too quickly or too slowly.
9 K% S" q& m/ T' `• Trusting that other drivers will cooperate in letting the learner merge.9 E+ K' V/ k+ m  X8 n: F# `
• Being passive instead of assertive.
4 j& g2 y) V6 fBefore doing a high-risk activity, such as merging, demonstrate the activity, draw# x4 j" _! X& f# Z& E+ h
pictures and have the learner observe the situation when possible.4 |/ w* M, O! _
1. Treating the merge like a yield
/ [1 _/ c; n. E: Y) q0 O- _Solution:5 R7 H: E+ J  r/ t! C/ r
• Yielding and merging are very different, and it is important to understand the
9 j& k3 l! `) E$ Q; g9 ^2 n  xdifference between the two. Merge means to mix or blend with the traffic (a shared3 O  T( U0 B4 T& v' x4 A) B
responsibility). Yield requires that one of the vehicles must legally allow the other to( B% {* h3 r0 X! u; \/ k6 |
proceed to avoid a collision (one vehicle has the right of way).0 Z0 r$ o) x/ B" D4 _, @
2. Waiting too long to find an appropriate space to fit into$ A* Y4 S1 y- W: m
Solution:
. Q5 t6 ^' C1 F' A. P• Finding an appropriate space to merge should begin as soon as the lane where the
4 S$ b2 a; k9 Y- Y( v, r) U5 Q3 x5 |merge will take place comes in to view. When this can be seen, planning begins for: U/ F4 b( r; A8 Z5 @/ \) X
the merge. At this point, the learner needs to pick a spot to fit into, and to continue to& ~, N+ P) l9 a+ {1 G& `* }& b
glance left to check for the merge location. The learner will have to be assertive, not. {; D* V7 [* J9 H
aggressive. This is a situation that requires the learner to take charge and show clear0 p, H+ d, j5 }7 v, h4 W# \; y7 y
intention to merge with the flow of traffic.' E# o& e# I1 b
3. Travelling too closely to the vehicle in front+ o3 T1 o' V5 P5 k$ ~" x2 ]
Solution:$ h1 m+ T1 O4 T5 Z! {
• When planning the merge, the learner needs to leave a two to three second following
' W% i% t- i0 ~* ]distance (longer if conditions are poor) between their vehicle and the vehicle in front.: e- H; N( [, M
Many drivers do not know how to merge properly (see 1). Many experienced drivers
! R- h1 T/ h  x  ^+ l+ vtreat merging like a yield, and will come to a stop due to poor planning. Following" _9 a8 q# ]' W# i, V1 n, o- {. l
too closely will greatly increase the possibility of a collision. As the learner is. s# n- Q% O- D& X3 A$ `# }
glancing for an opening in traffic, the vehicle in front may stop.
# g+ d- o+ W( G+ o$ q& W' U4. Approaching the merge point too quickly or too slowly
3 y0 V1 X* g4 j0 ~  OSolution:
* @4 q' m9 I5 W9 \9 c# f• The learner needs to remember this is a merge, not a yield. There are no yield or stop: f2 @6 U+ Q, B) T- {& s
signs. Stopping is a last resort and usually the result of poor planning. One sign seen& r. u4 P: i; K6 T) _/ h) z. `
on the approach to the merge is a speed limit sign that will indicate what speed should
& t0 S3 q% p0 E. y" p6 }* N2 ]16
2 ~& |- L- w  E9 m/ y8 F+ Zbe travelled to merge safely. If drivers were required to yield or stop, there would: J: b0 p# \! q( h9 ?. I
not be a sign encouraging an increase in speed. Speed should be increased to near2 r& Y( w$ \, J
or at the suggested speed. (The speed may have to be adjusted a little to match the
$ y$ N+ k+ j9 ~9 xchosen entry location.)8 G( ~! r8 b8 T8 ~! R$ l
5. Trusting that other drivers will cooperate in letting the learner merge" a. N; J. w/ k0 ^& A/ B
Solution:& N! W! |% A& c6 m  F0 h' f  r
• Other motorists are looking for the driver who is merging to communicate clearly2 f1 P4 |$ `+ y+ \
what is being planned. Turn on the signal light. Be assertive. If there is hesitation,
7 v+ I/ e! L9 t" [( {3 k: ?9 ]other drivers will be unsure about what the learner is planning to do. The learner
4 _& x7 h2 T( q  ^% l6 Uneeds to communicate clearly that he or she is going to merge, and other motorists
* L: M& s7 q; p' r* j1 ]9 ]* lwill make room by moving ahead, slowing down, or changing lanes. Remember, a
2 |" D; w% C( U0 q2 X) B' z; f  Blarge number of licensed drivers do not know all the rules of the road. Not everyone
6 N1 Y) _0 U0 O/ r  r  |% Qunderstands that merging is a shared responsibility, therefore there is no right-of-way.
5 {  J& ~- H, ]! r5 ]+ Y  U3 G6. Being passive instead of assertive5 u$ x1 v7 S+ M  F: ]' K  d
Solution:
& [, \, l* S" W' w# K9 I* l3 b8 B• Taking a passive approach can communicate to other drivers that the learner is unsure! X! K2 k6 k2 H  V
about what to do. This causes confusion, poor planning, and poor decision-making.4 F4 c& v! \; B8 ?3 I# l0 I; c
Be assertive! Take charge! Take control!4 i: Q, B. t4 g7 D2 U
17; q$ f% M  a4 @* T$ f; T
Traffic Circles( S& D7 j" |" s
New Driver Tendencies:  o. P: u( w# z! w% X
• Approaching the traffic circle too quickly.3 o+ Z$ F4 u# }, K0 z$ l
• Not glancing to the left when approaching the traffic circle.
/ k7 I, T9 \9 P' S3 ?• Staring at the concrete triangle island divider to the left when approaching or exiting
& `$ B; y9 \% o8 Y( ^0 y2 I9 cthe traffic circle.; `/ t# f  j, z: i  j6 m
• Staring at the left curb, or the white dotted lane markings to the right, while going
& \( j/ W7 @, F9 a7 F( paround the traffic circle.& o6 ?5 o- Y! P- M' t% |( {& N! P. q
• Trying to go further than the first exit in the right (outside) lane.
5 g* n; k( @' X9 Y0 J5 B) F• Attempting to exit the circle using the right (outside) lane from the left (inside) lane.
& d, R# a( J8 M3 ]• Travelling around the circle too quickly.
0 f- ]: @8 }4 |Before doing a high-risk activity, such as traffic circles, demonstrate the activity, draw) p! x" n0 J9 p- d& Y
pictures and have the learner observe the situation when possible.3 F9 o* A' E0 ~3 |% h0 X
1. Approaching the traffic circle too quickly
- {& `- D7 Z0 W6 W8 b5 _' @Solution:
; g. p5 J4 c6 ]+ k• Braking should begin about half a block (two to three light standards) from the traffic/ P# e7 r% C, W6 J( S  \% k# n
circle. At this point, cover the brake and apply some pressure to slow to roughly half; W0 P; b7 Z! G
of the posted speed. Many new drivers will cover the brake at the appropriate distance1 m  g" r0 c, U- {; @, _
but are still coasting near the same speed. Approach at 10 to 15 km/h, not 20 to 25
9 W: n9 [% m. o2 `0 Z. c% Kkm/h. This allows for proper scanning and assessing, and time to plan for other% I# u7 F. N0 |6 U
vehicles following too closely behind.
' Z" I/ S: M' R5 S% c, O  _: J2. Not glancing to the left when approaching the traffic circle" v2 L5 P# f9 d9 X% C. g2 E, y! y
Solution:
# H& B! r4 a* C• The traffic circle should be approached slowly so that the following steps can be
0 E: S9 `# |/ S) Mdone easily.
, i( L8 k% L2 q0 d& O& W• Signal well in advance of the circle.
3 H5 k1 Z, u, M* z" u- r! O( b7 I1 C• Assess the traffic flow ahead, behind, and especially to the left in the circle.
# h: {4 e% s9 }. d& ^, j& Q! p• Decide whether there is enough time and space to continue into the circle, or if a  V# @" B, z9 z& P- ?7 P
stop will be required., S) K$ b" v: g+ [* f4 {0 w
3. Staring at the concrete triangle island divider to the left when" n7 P, ^9 F0 s2 O3 ]" l+ E5 Y
approaching or exiting the traffic circle
7 K, @+ b% h2 A, I$ N- BSolution:
( C; Y$ O* i  t• Proper visual skills are crucial to all driving activities. Approaching too quickly will
+ l& U2 Y* J2 b& ~# T# {: einterfere with the learner's ability to perform all the necessary actions to ensure safe- q5 ?; v7 K' d3 O: m' F4 N9 |; i
use of the traffic circle. The learner should be aware of the divider, but not stare at it.
5 }2 K' x& U* a7 q; R% PScanning should be done on the approach to the circle, from the left to right, checking6 {7 n: G" G! y& q; s
for a safe opening and for pedestrians.2 f+ [% U8 a& K: ?( g& n
18" V# \: L0 W3 F' X7 l
4. Staring at the curb on the left while going around the traffic circle5 v3 \$ l9 B2 |& m( Y) w
Solution:" x" K1 Z& z6 ^- `+ e' z
• New drivers will be very nervous about contacting the curb to the left of their
6 Y0 c6 N8 i- dvehicles when they travel in the left lane around the traffic circle. Due to their
* ?# b8 ?1 Y  S8 g% ~- onervousness about the curb, they will be very focused on it. This will cause them to+ t- [* F0 g! d4 Y5 g
move towards it. Here is that vision and movement issue. Encourage the learner to- T* x9 _& I3 m, W
look around toward the next exit and make only small steering wheel adjustments.
. c* k! t  a* G0 _3 z: tVision should be aimed high.
% w* E( O5 f$ U. j5. Trying to go further than the first exit in the right (outside) lane0 }2 z, d% `" A1 H8 |$ o
Solution:
/ r, n" w5 y5 R- s$ s• Although this is legal, it is not recommended, especially for new drivers. New drivers. d7 l2 I1 J9 O5 |# q0 f
are focused on the basics of keeping the vehicle moving, and staying on the road.' c, f! ]+ [6 b/ ^3 V" `
Unnecessary high-risk activities should be avoided until the learner has more
% [, P3 k4 R! N! Y; @; kexperience.* H  G% p; [( J6 J! C# S) J. P
6. Attempting to exit the circle using the right (outside) lane from the left/ A) w! H+ [2 N
(inside) lane
( n9 P1 g0 G6 P: M" b7 M3 ZSolution:( ^* k2 N/ [3 v! e& G+ a, m% b
• Don’t. Some new drivers will try to change lanes while in the traffic circle and to exit3 L9 e# ~6 F6 O$ G4 k
a traffic circle from the left lane using the right lane, even after discussing it. This
' A( }( V, L% S& W& F1 ecomes up very often, and is very likely to happen as you coach the learner. Anticipate
% h6 p* {7 z3 zthis problem, and remind the learner while going around the circle that the exit must% F) C$ h* U* ?& u3 u. ]
be done in the proper lane. A good rule of thumb is 'enter using the left lane, exit, Z2 D3 q+ B) V
using the left lane' and 'enter using the right lane, exit using the right lane.'3 N/ S) q+ r; L: w9 j
7. Travelling around the circle too quickly! z0 ~3 i" w* A" s
Solution:4 q# S8 Q3 v! B
• Many new drivers, when nervous and unsure, will increase their speed in an attempt) y; ?* S' \& w2 V5 b2 R$ ?
to get through the exercise more quickly. This tendency is very strong in traffic/ r6 `/ Q- e. x' P$ e9 W
circles. Usually because they are accelerating to get in, they continue to drive around; j+ U% W$ O* w3 X" T. E
the circle quickly. Once in the traffic circle slow down to a speed that allows the0 }6 ^# z3 k% k6 `
vehicle to be easily controlled.
( E8 x5 N: n. P1 a# Z# g19
7 p$ Z3 c, q4 E+ HIntersections (Anticipating the Light)9 X6 D0 R  h) x3 h- E
New Driver Tendencies:
! F+ F0 K5 f$ e4 N• Not recognizing the fresh (okay to walk) or stale (do not walk) light situation early
' m& M( ^. S* n4 s" V3 E. _enough.+ f2 F6 A- T2 {6 J! t8 {9 q
• Not understanding what the amber (yellow) light means.# G/ q4 j& ^* |
• Hoping the light doesn’t change to amber versus anticipating it changing.( |" n$ B1 ~+ r# u
• Not understanding the point-of-no-return.3 `3 D+ F/ E4 ~
• Not scanning to the front, side, and rear.
6 _7 L/ S9 X/ |/ k9 n) M. |+ [1. Not recognizing the fresh (okay to walk) or stale (do not walk) situation early) o) }% H! B, i3 b6 t
enough
' }9 {0 L0 E4 c- k8 X* WSolution:* g, {' ?$ f# M+ ^+ W; R( l
• Identify whether the light has become stale (the Don’t Walk light is on), or if it is) ?( B9 U' `& g4 }! Q  G' S2 n
fresh (legally okay to cross the street). This is a very important part of deciding how' V1 _9 }: e8 s0 O* J; A3 \0 n" g
to handle the traffic light. Note this from as far away as one block (8 to 10 seconds)./ Z6 r( u8 M! a
• If the traffic light is fresh, continue within the speed limit, but be aware that the2 o$ t9 \+ C8 q
light may turn to stale.8 Q" P9 v( _- h" f
• If the traffic light is stale, check the rear view mirror, and cover the brake. The stale) A- e1 P2 Y, W! w( ?1 Z, X1 E( A6 t2 P
light is the first warning that it will soon be changing to amber. By now the vehicle is! U+ h) r: w$ r& N
likely half a block (two or three light standards) from the intersection.
4 V2 i- s& l, x8 W2 Y) X6 m* W• Covering the brake does a few things. First, removing the foot from the gas pedal; C9 j/ f  `+ p: e  ?! f7 K
allows gravity to take over, gradually slowing the vehicle. Secondly, the braking# a7 Q& j& k1 Y
reaction time is lessened because the brake is already covered. Thirdly, the learner's
) P& o8 _& `# h+ S/ vfocus is now on a possible stop, as opposed to running the light or slamming on the
7 M6 A! X# \9 M5 L% }* j5 l6 e. jbrakes.+ S! D3 K5 ?; e7 l$ ]$ l; M
2. Not understanding what the amber (yellow) light means.' f7 z. i% _/ e
Solution:
5 m* \7 b  A8 F3 U9 B5 P& `• When approaching the traffic light, amber should be treated as prepare to stop, so
: L$ x* W) J$ ucovering the brake is a good proactive move.2 _; a( T0 v7 U3 \
• If the vehicle is in the intersection (waiting to turn left), then amber means clear the$ f) ]- R% f* _1 Y* W" W3 O$ I
intersection when it is safe.2 X3 b: h9 o6 `7 H. C
3. Hoping the traffic light doesn’t change to amber versus anticipating it
" d  ?- J1 a& n9 o4 hchanging# {- q1 I) K) c+ x! a, M: D) R$ `; X
Solution:: W# [6 g$ {9 z* a* g7 @
• New drivers are anxious about approaching traffic lights that may change. Some
* D! @) |8 K0 }  l3 z/ a) kdrivers go faster and try to get through the light instead of slowing and preparing to1 h4 e. ~6 r* o2 u  l
stop. The learner should plan to stop. If it turns out that stopping isn't
8 T+ r( L0 N0 q! ?1 [3 Unecessary…great.
0 m& z7 ^1 y4 Z, }; v) I$ v8 W/ v20$ X; A7 y# h- a0 l. d. w
4. Not understanding the point-of-no-return
6 U/ w$ L6 i/ [- o5 g0 ~Solution:
, j  B& l9 G) n6 G9 S+ }: f• Scan the area to determine the ‘point-of-no-return’. There is no exact point, but there
* h: l5 h8 S* r4 mis an area or range a short distance before the intersection where the driver must
5 {+ I) H# t  |- k  Mdecide if it is possible to stop safely before the crosswalk or intersection. At this point
" l: R/ y3 j* H- A9 Y, zthe driver has made a ‘decision to continue’.- O* r$ S6 y: ]6 x- t
This requires good judgment and experience. Many things must be assessed before- Y" g- J$ `$ q# a5 Q' F
making this decision, such as speed, road conditions, traffic volume, visibility, and
! B2 G0 ]$ K$ r# b1 seven the condition of the vehicle, especially the tires.; B# l( y, M- n3 ^, k
5. Not scanning to the front, side, and rear
5 T: G! B8 @( O  ]! k/ YSolution:0 A' u/ E" B5 q, Q: r8 x
• Scanning should be done all the time when driving. When approaching a traffic light,1 q6 D7 w7 k8 Z
scan well before the intersection. While the learner is deciding whether to proceed or
: C- Q% F& ?3 k# Vstop at the intersection, it is wise to know what is happening on the adjacent roadway
3 Y, U. i; ?( w/ }and behind the vehicle.
0 o0 V. S: f: {- D! [* `- ?& z: r21
8 N3 d/ F; y9 R! JManual Transmissions) d; [; A0 Z) t' L9 L; O
New Driver Tendencies:4 Y0 c+ h! _1 t( t
• Over-revving the engine while finding the friction point.
; X. \6 x8 N( a• Stalling too often., _( n$ {+ d8 o7 T2 D4 p0 \
• Rough shifting and difficulty finding gears.# t7 i; @- P8 Q& W- s$ x7 p
1. Over-revving the engine while finding the friction point! v% u5 \  s1 i7 J
New drivers seem to have the idea that the only way to make a manual shift (standard)7 w4 C9 k/ ]6 N; \2 w) p' P$ z
vehicle move is to co-ordinate ‘the clutch and the accelerator’. This is not necessary. This0 P" M$ B- U/ Z6 C) p2 s
approach creates huge anxiety in new drivers and coaches. New drivers hear the engine& C2 K7 F1 d% ^7 e3 X. G  @
revving and are afraid that once the clutch engages, the vehicle is going to bolt from its9 S& ~2 \  D- n6 u
spot like a 747. No wonder new drivers remove their feet from the accelerator and: `  l/ L5 W# ~& V8 n
depress the clutch to the floor.
  ^2 o2 H  e8 KSolution:
: K2 y; t1 ^/ X$ m5 y( L) S• For the first hour, in a large parking lot, do not use the accelerator to make the- K, Q+ v$ r, k" i; F
vehicle move. The vehicle idles fast enough that no gas is required. Teach the learner) c. p5 `6 {5 c; p1 ^9 T
to find the friction point, without gas, to move forward.
2 r( Q7 j- `' t* g! r• The key is to put the vehicle in first gear, with the clutch depressed. Using no gas,
  N! S1 T8 M' J8 eslowly release the clutch, until the vehicle starts to pull.; O& Y+ [( P1 j" v# b$ v+ Z! Y2 V
• Pause at the friction point. Allow the vehicle to start moving while slowing moving
' g1 ]% r. ~% \2 l/ `* C" J, p+ I/ wthe clutch (in millimetres).- O3 C2 n' e6 |
• As the vehicle slowly gains speed, without gas, and moves three or four meters
: w+ g% V" y* s: r0 V. Nforward, slowly release the clutch all the way out.
$ J! [+ B' ]5 n7 j. f" P• Becoming familiar with the friction point, and what it can do, is critical to the
& p" D& u" }# g" X0 Ulearning process. Using the no gas method provides for a better feel for the friction: G2 g( }: h& }3 `) Z
point, with little or no anxiety that results from the revving engine.
  q4 N( e7 Y% M1 h! G3 w& ?# V+ BA good rule of thumb for using the clutch is the 4-S rule. The only reasons for depressing
! w( y1 A+ h& C4 ithe clutch are to:
. T) @% p7 U* H9 [) A# PStart (ignition) the vehicle.
2 e/ T+ j! C+ h; }. T  ]Start to move the vehicle in first gear.
6 ]& W: }6 k/ ?- W4 lShift gears.
5 S$ ^  |) p/ Z0 g3 DStop./ E; a( |; ^* B) y# y3 S3 K4 |
2. Stalling too often
; H! Z  f  c$ ?. g0 DSolution:
. e- |# p  a3 N9 y& L• Stalling is usually due to the new driver releasing the clutch too quickly. Often this
5 }) s  |% z8 E+ W/ M0 Khappens as a result of anxiety, especially the first time in traffic. The key to not3 |! x: g% f5 y6 s/ i- K) U
stalling is to release the clutch to the friction point, hesitate with the clutch for three
# V' T1 ]! v" c, s  Vto four meters, and then slowly release the clutch all the way. Hesitating at the
0 L' K- i% {3 Q$ a& {friction point as the vehicle starts moving is very important.
+ O# C- c, a5 R' c22) v- I4 J0 r2 U/ d9 ^& G& L! P5 S
3. Rough shifting and difficulty finding gears" F1 k# S+ J1 R7 \4 S: l; G- X( u) J
This often is a result of the new driver’s grip on the gearshift, and the desire to get the9 [% H# l$ x1 l1 j
shifting over with as quickly as possible. The tendency for new drivers is to make a fist* j" i8 q4 k+ `1 _0 P$ }
on the gear selector knob. This tends to increase the tension and forces shifting. The gears  H8 ^  e& [7 w! h+ t$ e" r* t  r
are synchronized and it requires nothing more than a relaxed open palm grip on the gear8 ^. V* L2 V7 D6 t  m6 I
selector.
! @' z! C$ P' \. A0 V$ o# _Solution:: ^; J' ?& Z' J" t7 T4 W
• Slow the shifting process by taking three to four seconds to depress the clutch, shift
# W- _8 i+ A4 T( Cfrom one gear to the next, and slowly release the clutch. Slowing the process will also
, L  k# ^; Q% b7 w- _reduce some of the anxiety.7 N* S# z1 |) l2 Z; ~

* Z+ Y9 l% ^" H9 s2 U% |[ 本帖最后由 billzhao 于 2008-3-1 01:01 编辑 ]
鲜花(40) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2008-3-30 18:56 | 显示全部楼层
好贴慢慢看
鲜花(3) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2009-8-25 14:56 | 显示全部楼层
very good! thanks!
鲜花(79) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-13 12:54 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
good post
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-21 17:10 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(48) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-21 17:15 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 scuba1995 于 2011-5-21 18:16 编辑 / O6 L$ S* T8 ]# `
/ K3 n1 e7 k2 A* a8 G" l' S3 k
。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。
大型搬家
鲜花(57) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-22 19:54 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。 。。。。。。。。。5 ~/ \$ i6 A4 Z- j8 B" |
scuba1995 发表于 2011-5-21 18:15

3 F/ ~8 v6 L' j  X, p
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2011-5-22 20:59 | 显示全部楼层
老柳教车
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-5-23 21:19 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(10) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2013-7-3 22:16 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2013-7-18 17:00 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2014-3-26 22:26 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2014-11-18 05:07 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(2) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-1-29 11:58 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:08 | 显示全部楼层
理袁律师事务所
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:08 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:09 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:10 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:11 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:11 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:14 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(92) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:15 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
鲜花(330) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2015-6-5 22:22 | 显示全部楼层
同言同羽 置业良晨
谢谢分享~~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-5-2 15:55 , Processed in 0.224104 second(s), 39 queries , Gzip On, APC On.