本帖最后由 billzhao 于 2015-6-27 19:45 编辑 ! ^% l. m) x0 |! o, J4 W( \
  I) n+ k- s$ t( p& B7 h
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HTtLHgU9tY
/ E3 S/ j9 y* h/ \: r/ i0 i& p5 t& ?$ V+ [/ l! U# u$ I7 T. {, g

. F# P! x- `+ N& i+ Q0 f/ X1 vCNN documentary5 n$ a3 J0 U3 `4 Z8 M) U3 C6 V
1 ]7 M6 J, B/ P3 D
New documentary explores Jonestown mass suicide
' ?7 j% s: Y- O) _3 r2 Z4 L: V1 h) _
Twenty-eight years later, what's left to say about Jonestown? Nine hundred members of a religious cult followed their fanatical leader to Guyana and willingly committed suicide by drinking a Kool-Aid-like mixture laced with cyanide. # F, K6 K9 ?: ?' J% F1 n; y, `
" N9 f5 n7 M( b& E8 h2 L4 a. H
What more could there be to the story? Plenty, it turns out.
% o' {9 K! |: _! PI watched an advance copy of the new documentary, "Jonestown," by filmmaker Stanley Nelson on Sunday, and found myself drawn deeply into a macabre tale that I had little prior knowledge of.
4 P. d9 b' m& B4 F/ t9 a* j3 g0 z: n  S' z
Nelson interviewed more than two dozen former members of Jim Jones' controversial Peoples Temple, including some who survived the Jonestown mass suicide -- which, by the way, looks more like mass murder now. And Nelson has unearthed dramatic video and sound recordings -- never seen or heard before that shed new light on the establishment, development and downfall of the Peoples Temple, right up until the moment Jim Jones passes out the cups., N+ y4 Q! w( d1 }3 M1 d
2 D' m3 h2 A7 c0 V0 q
The most chilling part of the film is the audio tape of Jones urging his followers to choose death over persecution. I heard, for the first time, the emotionally-pitched debate between Jones and parishioners who would rather live than die in the South American jungle. It was like a scene out of Apocalypse Now, only this time, the killing was real. 6 i$ F% ?3 I5 Y
" D/ r2 |, I3 M) E" W! ]7 A* F
I also learned that Jim Jones didn't suddenly take a hard left onto the highway of darkness. He was deeply disturbed from childhood, and is even suspected of abusing animals, something many experts believe is a hallmark of an emerging psychopath.$ y# u4 n4 j5 {& R0 b' D8 K, v

7 H" E4 F6 |+ C7 T- z% K- t+ cWhat's most tragic though is that Jones' followers don't come off as a cult of religious deviants. They were -- for the most part -- earnest people, attracted to the Peoples Temple for the sense of community they couldn't find in their own lives. It gave them a feeling of belonging, though as the years wore on and Jones' insanity escalated, membership came at an ever-increasing, and in the end, ultimate price.
9 C/ d8 z' W1 W+ X: ~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-4-20 04:19 , Processed in 0.060826 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.