注册
查看: 2199|回复: 1

Better than Calgary real estate (转贴)

[复制链接]
鲜花(21) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2006-6-26 23:32 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
Better than Calgary real estate3 l0 d9 @& i+ w& ^

9 p7 f" l% J1 S; @2 A0 c4 \- chttp://www.fundlibrary.com/features/columns/page.asp?id=12146
  |) D% N9 o: D% l
5 I, E' Z, y+ x0 \8 bBy Kevin Cork | Wednesday, June 14, 2006: k/ E% B0 E! I; ~4 B8 L+ t
7 m8 K7 {: ], x0 a' U% v! l
; a+ {2 \# ^3 A
Is real estate really the best way to build long term assets? “Real Estate the Best Investment!”
5 v+ p* p3 s8 U1 F5 m% ?) l
5 a$ D* X2 G, w% P“Calgary property provides phenomenal returns!”  G8 z) Z! r% ^% @: n) n

1 O! x3 K0 J' ^( D/ i( ~* c“Alberta real estate will go up forever!”
+ t5 A, G- P; ]3 D- v  x' O9 f7 ~
These are the kind of newspaper headlines I am sure I would have found if I hadn’t been too lazy to look. Every day, in both national and local media, we see articles trumpeting the resurgence of real estate and the vast increase in owner’s wealth that has happened over the last couple of years. Because this has happened over the last few years, many people, specifically 20-30 year olds, have this belief that it always been the case.
6 G# ~6 u3 n7 W) `& u5 ]% B7 D( e# [# x+ K: }
So, as a financial planner, I need to ask myself: “Is real estate the best way to build long term assets?”4 j+ }! B: _: z# A% h3 |7 T
! o* {+ C, p3 T3 m6 _  n  t! v2 ]
Here is the change in housing prices in Calgary over the last twenty-five years. This was taken from the Calgary Real Estate Board figures and averages all types of residences.
7 F! o+ Q; l/ [. t: }0 H
( G" L8 V7 P- c- B1 Z9 S- Z
+ _5 s4 t1 I) U8 v/ Q1 I% d
. @- A* D2 N# F& E- }In Calgary, twenty-five years ago the average residence cost just over $106,000, as of December 2005, the average residence was $250,943. So we have seen the average price more than double in value in twenty-five years. Further, according to the Globe and Mail on June 1, 2006, house prices in Calgary have increased another 30% since year-end, bringing the approximate total to $325,000. Sounds pretty good doesn’t it.$ s0 P2 a! ~4 J9 \! ?

& c- U9 V, n6 _. b) h0 Z8 VSo was there anything else that earned that much over that time. How much less would you have accepted if you didn’t have to spend any more time, energy or money on it as an investment?
5 I5 r. Z/ l# w7 W7 v# l( e* T) {4 x- Z: v; h1 h
According to Dec05 Globe Hysales, here is how two sample investments would have fared over the last twenty-five years (to the end of 2005) ! {1 r. S. M; B, n9 ]

' {+ G7 |$ X! v9 qI “invested” the same $106,000 in two of the long-standing global equity funds on 12/31/1981 and achieved these results as of 12/31/05. As with the property figures above, sales fees, taxes etc are not factored into the results.5 E' P% r; b3 I/ \% t

1 V) S, L9 N$ BMackenzie Cundill Value A Ending Market Value: $1,974,487
/ S: T9 j% i% ~4 J( g: j1 @% Q9 S4 s8 i. N3 O. V
Trimark Fund SC Ending Market Value: $2,507,558
6 K( c( T' q; q# b% X# z  [% |+ Z" K/ G/ f  C0 j
The passive, boring and commonplace mutual funds would have generated roughly eight times the return. This would look like this:0 X5 u: r- }! Z5 V$ e* y) L
* @* N# P9 N7 I3 _. v, H/ Q" f- W
! ]9 y4 ^+ D8 I6 N$ g

1 M6 t( a1 {1 O. C) R2 @! g& r. x5 b  
, L5 R, Y) A# `3 u: ]. N1 U5 W
/ {3 Z4 K6 Y* h. \% gSo if you had taken the $106,000 you were going to put into an investment property twenty-five years ago and plopped into the Trimark Fund instead, you would now be able to take the money out and buy eight houses. . {( T# P4 \. o* I/ X

0 @4 U4 |: Z% e/ oThese two funds have risen less than 1% in these first five months of 2006 so these numbers are basically unchanged. Global funds have not been a big hit recently. The Trimark fund in particular has been unpopular with investors because of the relatively low recent returns.
; R" @$ B0 r& F0 Q- {9 e0 ^" g
* l# \  c3 Y( ]3 y' INow to be wholly fair, the “A” version of the Cundill fund is not available for new investors and the “C” version currently for sale is more expensive, with an MER of 2.51% vs. 2.14%. (That extra 0.37% fee would have reduced the Cundill fund value to “only” an estimated $1.8 Million) On the real estate side, certain individual properties have done much much better of course-though some have done worse as well.
5 x. X2 o! U* B5 a2 S9 B1 A# g: F6 S& @6 L( x  z/ G
I have not included any possible rental income that may be generated in a rental property. But I have also not included any of the associated costs of owning a property such as property taxes, repairs, upgrades, un-rented months of carrying a mortgage etc.
1 P: h& W2 i7 e# \( B' h
- ~$ p8 Q/ _' l  z6 ^) n6 P% _Further, investing in a mutual fund is simple. There are no midnight trips to the place to deal with a flooded basement, arguments with tenants, time spent cleaning or painting, chasing bounced rent cheques, etc. 6 Y. h* @* |! ^8 e& n  f

7 K8 S2 m* `# vI am not trying to convince anyone that a real estate is a bad investment. Of course it isn’t. I personally own a house and have some other property development investments. AND I was advising people caution when buying investment properties almost two years ago and am still waiting to be right about that caution…3 G- C- n' A! n
3 w- c/ t6 k' C1 N6 n* u2 u
Investing in a single property in a single city in a single country is similar to investing in a single sector fund. It will unlikely drop to zero value of course but one could claim that this is a diversified investment. Quite the opposite. Proponents of real estate investing usually claim the concentration of the investment is one of its strengths. And, during the upside of the cycle, as we have seen, it is. Just as it is for resource stocks, tech stocks or emerging market stocks. It is during the downside of the cycle that diversification pays off. As financial planners we often talk about several layers of diversification. An individual property investment is often the opposite. It is a single, potentially ill-liquid investment using a focused strategy in an intensified area of a tiny, highly cyclical economy.. z, k* c% H/ J# n% @% ^7 [' F

0 J5 D: P8 O8 r; @If you are truly concerned with building your long term net worth and have limited resources to invest, does it make sense to plow all of those assets into a single basket: a highly leveraged rental property? Especially when that basket has gone so far up in its current cycle?7 m; H& j# d6 h

6 X1 U: o0 y! m- e5 v8 @  k7 P( DI prefer clients buy currently unpopular assets that are low in value and sell currently popular assets that are high, even if there is potential for them to go higher.
鲜花(150) 鸡蛋(3)
发表于 2006-7-3 14:34 | 显示全部楼层
The fact is that Nothing can go up forever!  J. t3 g8 r& G+ v4 y' R

L6 H) S$ J) R4 X3 L' ~
原帖由 三言两语 于 2006-6-26 23:32 发表9 T, \  B+ ~$ Z+ E+ z2 }! b
Alberta real estate will go up forever! ...
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-4-27 07:57 , Processed in 0.209376 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On, APC On.